Re: [orca-list] Converting pdf documents to text

I do not have calibre on this machine yet, may not have dashes right, but basically you will be using the
ebook-convert command.
There is a lot of documentation, think it may come with calibre, but maybe I had to download it separately.
Try man ebook-convert and see what you get.
I'll boot a machine with calibre on it after a bit of work and let you know more.
Nothing I've ever used is accessed with from the calibre GUI, nor by typing calibre that I can remember.
I think pretty much it's just ebook-convert, inputfile outputfile, but each file type has its own option set,
and some have lots of posibilities
regarding how documents are organized, i.e. one long file, a tree structure  of some kind or a flat list of
files. Also  character encodings, naming
conventions, and other things can be selected.
    Write me off list later if I don't get back with you and you still can't find what all you need.
I've only done the basics  myself, and usually have to look up any option I want to use/tweak.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  covici ccs covici com wrote:
Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 02:48:56AM -0400

So, I have installed calibre, its partially accessible, I can see the
getting started book details, but no content that I can figure out.  Can
you tell me about those scripts, there are 2000 files, so I don't want
to search through all of them!!  There is an epub version of the users
guide, but I have nothing to read it with.

MENGUAL Jean-Philippe <texou actux eu org> wrote:

Hi,

You've 3 solutions: geditpdf, a package in Ubuntu I think (at least in
Vinux, based on Ubuntu); open the pdf jith Evince, then copy-paste to
an editor, save your file and using pdftotext in a terminal.

Regards,