Re: [orca-list] should orca announce aria landmarks by default?

I tend to think of headings first for sure, but the reality is that some web designers do use landmarks.
For sure only in verbos mode would I want these to be announced.
The idea of having fine grained controls so that one can highly customize ones verbosity is interesting. If
it were a situation where if one selects
verbos mode almost everything would be checked and announced, and in brief mode nothing checked, and then one
could get to any state of verbosity
inbetween using the finer grained controls makes sense to me.
That kind of interface change could be positive in my opinion, and one could save a profile to meet certain
needs, e.g. one for bookshare that might
announce landmarks by default for some people...
I have used verbos mode so little I can't remember off the top of my head just all that is actually announced
now that is notwhen one uses brief mode,
just know that I usually find it distracting when I have used machines where it's turned on like after a
fresh installation, or booting from a
usb-stick.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Kyle wrote:
Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 06:46:35AM -0400

I haven't extensively used this feature, so I can't exactly comment
from experience. I do recall reading something about I think it's
called 508 compliance, but I don't remember it saying anything about
these landmarks, and in my limited testing of this feature, it seems
most websites don't use them much if at all. Also, "landmark" just
seems rather nondescript to me, which probably contributes to my lack
of understanding of what they are used for and why I may need/want
them. For landmarks, I usually use heading and link navigation as
needed, as well as Orca's large object function. If I can have a better
experience using landmarks instead, many website designers don't know
it, and neither do I <smiles>.

Regarding the verbosity, yes, it would probably increase greatly on
websites where landmarks are used, and I may find myself somewhat
surprised by the number of websites actually making use of them.
However, increased verbosity in a screen reader is usually something to
be avoided, especially if some more advanced users don't know the
purpose of the extra wording.

My thought is that users who already understand the purpose of
landmarks know how to navigate between them, and probably only use them
for navigating. Those users who don't use them currently will likely
gain little to no benefit from hearing where they are in the body of
text or other information on a page as they  try to read it, and if
they begin to understand and use them, will likely only use them to
make navigation easier. Hope this helps.
Sent from my backup server