Re: [orca-list] linux versus windows was Re: GUI Redesign or clearup and modernization

hi
Apparently I'm replying to my own message lol. To explain my position a
little clearer when I'm not tempted to disagree with someone. I've used
both windows and linux and they're both usable. I find linux more
intuitive because I've become accustomed to having more software in a
default install than you typically get with a windows install. For
instance, when I install sonar on a system, it comes with orca
obviously, libre office, codecs for just about any file format including
dvd, blu ray disks and the ever popular mp3 format, as well as free and
open ones like ogg vorbis, flac and opus.  It also comes with a good web
browser and email client, though they obviously need to be set up. This
means I can listen to my music and watch my videos on a live image, as
well as immediately after an install. It's of course possible to get
these in windows with the k lite codec pack so windows isn't exactly
hard, it's just one more piece of software you need to install. To be
fair, with ninite it's not as painful as it used to be, because you can
generate  a tiny installer that will download the latest versions of
some popular software programs and install them. The one downside to
that is you need to have a working net connection for this to work. c:
d: etc aren't exactly hard for me, since I used windows long enough to
get used to the layout, but I find the linux layout of /dev/sdx more
intuitive.  Linux also supports every possible filesystem I could ever
come into contact with on a daily basis out of the box, and built in to
the kernel. Most linux distros install userspace tools to format and
manipulate microsoft ntfs partitions, but even without this support the
kernel can still mount them to access their data. I'm also accustomed to
being able to fix my own problems in some cases. An example of this
would be my logitech keyboard I just bought. It had zoom in, zoom out
and zoom on/off buttons that didn't work out of the box in linux, so I
mapped them using udev and now they work. This is of course pretty
technical and most users might not be able to, but I find it useful.
I'll also add that I tried to get this working in windows and couldn't,
even with the logitech software installed. Most of the keys worked, but
not those four. Neither OS is perfect. I don't think anyone on this list
has any problem helping people. We're not averse to "hey, orca needs
improvement in this area" posts, because no piece of software is
perfect. What I in particular have very little patience with is" orca
sucks because it doesn't do such and such like nvda or jaws does" That
shows a clear lack of effort to understand how orca does things, which
can be different than those screen readers. I like how orca handles web
content. The logical list of commands make sense to me and even if I
didn't like one of them, I could change it. Joanie did a fantastic job
when she designed that. I'm not as averse to virtual buffering as kyle
is although I'm not a real fan of it. tony's posts have been very polite
and it's not him I rant at. I don't know how long he's been around so
I'll repeat myself a little. When I rant, which I do far more often than
I should, it's usually not you personally I'm ranting at, as I did with
devin earlier. Someone usually says something that tips me over the
edge. I'm in the unhappy position of trying very hard to get blind
people to try linux. I have very little success, either because of my
approach or because the people I come into contact with, usually those
who play alter aeon and use mush z, are very ... how do I put this ...
dismissive is probably the politest word I can think of, so I'm usually
in a continuous state of frustration.  I'm usually tempted a few times a
year to just try this windows thing to see what all the hype is all
about. Generally I'm disappointed. It works well, sometimes, but it just
doesn't fit me. I'm too used to being able to fix a problem if it comes
up instead of being basically stuck. Long way of saying I'll do my best
to help anyone who asks, but I do have my sore points. Windows is one
very sore one, but others include "espeak sucks, why can't I have
quality  human sounding voices like windows and apple" and "I shouldn't
have to be a computer expert to use linux" If you're polite or at least
not abrasive most people on hear will do their best to help you, but you
can't, and by yoou I mean you in general, can't just come onto a linux
list and expect free support if you complain constantly.I'll close, I'm
about to take a nice long nap. I'll end by thanking everyone who works
so hard to keep linux accessible, and the hard working folks who spread
what linux can do. I try to help as best I can and I can't code beyond
simple bash scripts.
Thanks
Kendell clark