Re: [orca-list] Emacs editor

Hello, could speechdl be compiled and used within other unix systems, like the Mac?

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 26, 2015, at 7:43 AM, Will Estes <westes575 gmail com> wrote:

All the active development on emacspeak is on adding functionality that is emacspeak specific and generally
not needed. It's also, often, things that would be better handled outside of the "screen reading"
component. When I last used emacspeak, I found its build process fragile and opaque.

speechd-el, on the other hand, simply lets emacs be emacs -- just with speech output. So you're not
remembering additional screen reader specific commands other than the basics to make speech output the way
you ened it.

There is a good tutorial inside emacs itself. speechd-el explains how to get it up and running inside emacs
-- which you could do outside of emacs using another editor if you'd rather. Although the trick about using
emacs in non-windowing mode mentioned on the list earlier is workable, certainly as a starting point.