Re: [orca-list] skype replacement

According to Fernando Botelho:
# If you need something that does not have its own proprietary network
# and lots of other people use it, then there is no replacement for
# Skype

Thankfully, we have the open and free, enterprise quality SIP protocol.
This is actually the protocol that has been used by business phones and
even by residential customers via the likes of Vonage in the States for
nearly 15 years. Many people actually do use it, there is just no
single provider. The great thing is that no matter which provider you
use, most of them can talk to each other, as they communicate via SIP:
URL's that look a bit like e-mail addresses, so the client can easily
find the server to route the call to the correct user in much the same
way that SMTP routes this message to this list or to you personally, no
matter who provides your e-mail, depending on where I address the
message.

Most distros will give you access to either Linphone or SFLPhone, both
of which will allow you to talk through your SIP provider of choice to
any other person who has any SIP capable application. Hope this helps.
Sent from my frozen tundra