Re: [orca-list] Thoughts on the new table cell/row reading options?

I think haviing the three table settings would be very useful. That beiing said if toggling the active table
would be all need in the way of extra
keybiindings.
I think we need to be careful to not have so many possible settings that most users could not be expected to
keep track of them, and or spend a lot of
time trying to decide if soomething is needed just because it is there. That last sounds foolish, but I think
many people would actually spend time
trying to figure out potential use cases rather than waiting for one to come around. Again this is foolish,
but I am foolish that way sometimes, and
un-necesary complexity does turn many people off.
I think so far Orca has done a great job keeping a balance between flexability and simplicity. Screenreaders
are complex tools that must work for a wide
range of user/use-cases, and I am certainly not one to say because I, or "most people", do not use something
it should not be included, but if there is
an easy enough way to do something adding more alternatives is often not justifiable in my book.
Thanks.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 11:30:42PM -0500

Hey all.

While working on separating table cell/row reading so spreadsheet could
be configured independently from other tables, some questions came up
and I need your input.

1. Do you need just 2 settings (spreadsheet tables vs everything else)?
   Or do you need 3 (gui tables, document tables, and spreadsheets)?
   These, btw, would be the permanent settings with GUI check boxes.

2. Right now we have Orca + F11 which toggles the one and only table
   setting on the fly. Given the introduction of the new settings:

2a. Do we still need the ability to toggle on the fly, or is the main
    use case for toggle the fact that you only had one table setting?

2b. If we do indeed still need the ability to toggle on the fly, do we
    need just the one, existing toggle (which presumably would toggle
    based on the active table)? Or do we need one keybinding per table
    cell/row option?

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!
--joanie