[orca-list] no speech in a fedora 23 vm?

Hi all.
I've been wanting to play with fedora for a while and finally decided to do it. I downloaded the workstation version of it and set up a virtual machine to put it in. Everything went fine until the machine boots and i get the screen asking me if i want to install it or try it. At this point i tried to bring up orca but it won't talk. Using jaws OCR i managed to figure out that orca was running but it refused to speak. I tried disconnecting the sound card and reconnecting it and even manually setting but it still won't talk.
Could this be a driver issue and if so, what should i do to fix it?
the virtual machine software is vmware workstation 10.

Any help would be appreciated.