Re: [orca-list] OT: What have I done?

I'll send this on list, but probably won't respond to anything else that may come up in this thread as it is
mostly not Orca related.
You yourself called part of the problem, but may not have considered one angle of it, i.e. you say you are
approaching burn out.
You are possibly spreading yourself too thin both time wise and attention wise.
Perhaps you would be better off focusing on one or two projects. Filing bug reports may not take up that much
of your energy, but if it does, only file
on a couple of projects where you see the greatest likely hood of getting results.
I am frustrated by my lack of programming knowledge, and I hope to be able to learn enough to be of tangible
value either by directly contributing code
or contributing ideas with an idea of how to put them in to action, but this will not come overf night.
Perhaps a time of study with no great expectations of making much of a difference for a while makes more
sense than trying to build something or fix
something with out adequit tools.
I am not judging in any way any specific efforts of yours as I know little or nothing about the vast majority
of them. I am only going on what you write
here and some of what I've heard from you over the years, so I may not be hitting the marks, but I do know
that burn out has cost many a good project
many a good man.
Relax, study, and do what you can.
As for iritating  Joani, I can't rememer reading irritation in her replies to your posts, but I don't read
everything that hits the list.
I appriciate contributions, large and small that people make to keep FOS software and other open source
projects going. Sometimes that menas keeping a
dream alive, other times that means contributing to the cutting edge of world class projects.
There's not time to say thanks for everything that is done, but I'm thankful, and suggest those who are not
consider the hours of work that go in to
even small software packages, filing bug reports and writing manpages and tutorials as well as the actual
code.
There are always things that can and should be done that are not, often things that cost little or nothing,
and it is frustrating to see them not being
done. In spite of all those things Linux lives. Linus himself drives verty talented  people away from kernel
development if what I read is at all true,
but Linux lives.
We must not let the perfect be the enemy of the best we can do while we continue to look for ways to improve
ourselves and our projects.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  kendell clark wrote:
Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 12:36:35AM -0600

hi all
This is going to be a long email, so if you don't have time to read it, just
skip it. It's not much related to orca, but I'm deliberately posting it hear
so that the most people will see it. Thisis a hard email for me to write and
is off topic. I can't understand what I have done to alienate the blind
linux community, yet this seems to be exactly what I have done. I posted an
email to this list deliberately, rather than the speech-dispatcher list
because more people subscribe hear and someone was likely to know the
answer. I asked luke on irc first, but as I said earlier, I missed his
message. I'm honestly gotten to the point where I'm approaching burn out.
Right now I file bug reports for three desktops, gnome, mate, and cinamon,
I'm a co developer of the sonar distribution and I help out fedora, when I
have time to breathe, that is. I manage a git repository of espeak fixes.
But in spite of all my effort, I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Before I
get blasted, I'm well aware that accessibility resources are limited, it's
why I took these tasks on. But except for joanie, who does fantastic work,
most of the bugs I file don't get fixed. The reasons vary, but mostly
revolve around no one knowing the accessibility interface. More and more I
find myself looking over the other side of the fence, wondering if windows
has this much trouble. I'm passionate about open source, but somehow I seem
to offend people by my replies. I try to go out of my way not to complain,
and to indicate that I'm not complaining, but somehow I get accused of
ranting when I am not, or of not doing
 my homework when there just doesn't seem to be much in the way of online
linux accessibility information. To those who help me, I am greatful. I
don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm not having the impact I want to
have. I want to improve speech-dispatcher, and yet don't know the code well
enough. I want to improve orca, yet I somehow irritate joanie despite every
effort not to do so. The mate devs don't seem to know anything about
accessibility so those bugs aren't getting fixed. The gnome people know but
they seem to regard the entire accessibility infrastructure as a giant mess
that needs to be redesigned, only no one wants to do it. My passion for open
source  seems to be waring away due to simple indifference. People know
there are bugs, and yet they linger. Any replies to me should probably be
sent off list, since this is not related to orca. Am I not filing good bugs?
Is my approach wrong? I'm obviously doing something wrong because it seems
other people's bugs are getting fixed.
Thanks for reading
Kendell clark