Re: [orca-list] problems with audible.com and latest orca

covici ccs covici com <covici ccs covici com> wrote:
Thanks so much -- but then I wonder, how does a normal sighted user do
anything with this at all?   I wonder if you click that now text, does
preview change to something you can click on?

The appearance of the element is set in a style sheet so that it looks like a
button. When a sighted user clicks on it, an event listener (presumably on an
ancestor element somewhere in the HTML document) detects this and responds
accordingly.

I don't use this particular Web site; I'm just explaining how these custom
controls are normally implemented. If there were a click event listener
associated with the paragraph element which is acting as a button, Orca would
at least recognize it as clickable. The fact that, according to your report,
it doesn't, indicates that the event listener is somewhere higher up in the
document tree. There is no reliable way for a screen reader such as Orca to
handle this situation without help from ARIA attributes that must be provided
by the Web application's developers.