Re: [orca-list] New Linux user, needing higher quality speech...

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 09:02:02AM AEST, B.Henry wrote:
I've sure seen more email from people who can't get festival to work than
those who have had trouble installing Voxin, and Voxin certainly is easy to
install on the distro the original poster is usiing.

Unfortunately Speech Dispatcher's current festival driver implementation doesn't make this any easier. One
has to run the festival server first, before the Speech Dispatcher festival driver is run, which is of course
not practical for most users.

Back in the GNOME Speech days, the GNOME Speech festival driver launched its own instance of the festival
server, which is what I think we need to do with Speech Dispatcher.

Luke