Re: [orca-list] New Linux user, needing higher quality speech...

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 09:44:30PM AEST, covici ccs covici com wrote:
However, I don't think there is a speech dispatcher driver for the
sepstral voices, so without paying a big fee, you need to buy version 5
only, if that is still available.  Otherwise you cannot save the voice
output to a .wav file.

And going forward, writing a Speech Dispatcher driver and distributing it in some form will be difficult.
Having previously bought a Cepstral voice myself, I was able to freely upgrade to the latest version. The
newest downloads of voices do not ship with the header files that would be required to build the Speech
Dispatcher driver. Even if I was able to get a hold of the latest SDK and write a driver, difficulty would
arrise in distributing a built version of that driver for users, what with all the various distros,
configurations, etc.

Luke