Re: [orca-list] Internet

Window-eyes no longer uses a virtual buffer, but it does indeed make
each link on a line by itself which is very handy.  I think Orca can do
this as well, its called something like layout or something in the
preferences -- maybe the application preferences.

Kyle <kyle4jesus gmail com> wrote:

According to Josh K:
# NVDA has been able to do this for years.

Orca will thankfully never do it the Windows way. Every Windows screen
reader known to man as far as I know takes the entirety of the page
source and reads it into a virtual buffer, essentially replacing the
browser and interacting with elements as if it is the browser. This
poses a host of problems, not the least of which are the need to have
two copies of every web page in memory and the inability to handle
dynamic content with any level of grace at all. The goal of Orca has
always been to read what the browser presents to it directly rather than
hacking itself into its own browser supplement or replacement.
Therefore, unless a different method of navigation can be implemented
that can be toggled easily, a browser add-on will need to handle this.
Please note that I have rarely criticized in a major way the methods by
which Orca does anything at all, with the exception of some initial bugs
in the focus modes, but if it goes in the direction of virtual buffers,
or even looks like it is headed that way, I will become quite vocal in
my criticism of the way in which it works, and hopefully I won't be the
only one.
Sent from my tone generator
--
"Don't judge my disability until you are able to see my ability."
~Kyle: https://kyle.tk/