Re: [orca-list] New Linux user, needing higher quality speech...

cepstral voices for $25.

follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982

On 5/14/2015 11:58 PM, Daniel Hawkins wrote:
Hello everyone!

Hi my name is Daniel, and this is my first post. I do have to admit, I am completely new with Linux. Back
when i could see I have played around with a live Slax cd in highschool, but that was about 15 years ago!

Now as a completely blind person I havethe live CD of VInux. I already have experience with Mac Voiceover,
IOS, JAWS and NVDA. I was playing around with the Orca screenreader, and one problem I am having is the
ESpeak voice. I am considered profound deaf, but I use a hearingaid to help me hear. I can understand some
voices, and there are voices I do not understand. The voices that comes with Orca by default acually hurts my
ears or not clear enough for me. The Samathma voice or the Sarita voice is a bit understandable, but so far
ESpeak is the best on the preloaded default.

So, my question is, is there a higher quality voice that I can easily install? I have heard of the festival
voices, but I heard that it is only for command line right?

I have been doing a lot of research, and i am afraide to say, I know nothing about command lines, and i see a
lot of Linux command are command line driven.

Any info on this I would greatly appreciate this, Thanks!
Daniel Hawkins
- Posted from my Macbook Pro