Re: [orca-list] a few minor issues in gnome I thought were worth mentioning

hi
Phew, did that sound just a bit spoiled and irritable to you guys?
Lol, sorry about that. I'd just spent two hours trying to get fedora
installed to my spair laptop. Anaconda would periodically open up an
oops, sorry, we've encountered a bug, dialog, and would then close
after I hit the quit button, but I eventually got it. NOw that I think
about it, it might not actually be the notifications being
inaccessible, but seLinux blocking orca from seeing them or the
notifications from appearing on the screen. Since fedora is the only
distro that has gnome 3.16 I assumed it was fedora, but i'll dig a
little more. I'm much better now, with a fresh cup of coffee and a
good night's sleep
Thanks
Kendell clark

kendell clark wrote:
hi AN update Having gotten fedora 22 installed and updated, I've
found some more issues, sigh. Notifications in gnome 3.15.90 appear
to be broken, at least from an accessibility standpoint. I've
tested this by running notify-send -u normal "test" in a terminal,
which returned, but orca failed to read the notification. I then
went into the notifications area of the calendar, which is workable
but a bit clunky, and found a notification there. I also plugged
and unplugged a flash drive, which is supposed to cause a
notification to appear. It did show up, but orca failed to read it.
Gdm has gone from accessible with some unlabeled buttons to
completely inaccessible. Well, it might not actually be
inaccessible, but orca turns on, and then cannot read the window. I
suspect, but cannot prove, that this is a result of gdm using
wayland for it's login screen, though why this should have anything
to do with it i'm not sure. These issues need to be fixed soon,
because if gnome releases a desktop in this state they cannot very
well be said to have taken accessibility seriously. I don't think
these issues are orca's fault, just posting them here so more
knowledgeable people can look into this. I do like the new gnome
3.16 though, and I'm pretty sure these issues can be fixed. If this
issue is better to be posted on the gnome accessibility list I'll
gladly subscribe, although I'll need someone to add me to it
manually, I can't get past the annoying captcha. Thanks Kendell
clark Sent from sonar gnu/linux

kendell clark wrote:
hi all I've been experimenting with the new gnome 3.16, or
3.15.90 as it is in fedora, and thought i'd mention a few issues
I've noticed. SOme of these are in gnome 3.16, the rest in 3.14
but may be fixed in 3.16. The first is bookmarks in orca. They
usually work exactly as intended, but occasionally, particularly
when bookmarking icons in nautilus, will take you either to an
icon other than the one you bookmarked or will land on the scroll
bar instead of the icon you've bookmarked. This is, and it's only
a guess since my vision isn't good enough to prove, I think
because the icon you've bookmarked has scrolled off the screen
and orca is landing on whatever is in that position now. In
gedit, when opening a large document, orca is occasionally very
verbose while the document loads. That is, orca is reading the
contents of the document in gedit while it's loading before
saying "name of document" gedit frame. This is another guess, it
sounds as if the document is scrolling rapidly while gedit is
attempting to load it and orca is reading what it can. The next
is notifications. They work just fine, I've had no issues with
them in orca. I'm going to try to be clear. When you plug in a
removable media, such as a flash drive, media player, any that
opens up a what do you want to do with this type message, there's
an icon at the bottom center of your screen, that you have to
press windows"n to get to. This is, I assume, where the autorun,
autoplay, whatever it's called dialog has moved to. Instead of
speaking the dialog, notification, whatever it is, orca says
simply, panel, and refuses to read the notification. I can press
escape to dismiss the notification, or enter to take the default
action assigned to whatever I've plugged in.  THis one I"ve only
run into on gnome 3.14, so this could be fixed in gnome 3.16. I"m
struggling with installing fedora 22 at the moment so haven't
been able to test. That's all I've noticed so far. The rest of
gnome is accessible, other than some unlabeled buttons, which are
present in both gnome 3.14 and 3.16. IN particular, the unlabeled
buttons in gnome tweak tool for turning on and off an extension,
and activating the preferences for that extension are still
unlabeled. THis could probably be fixed if I could figure out how
to modify the python script. These are not complaints, I'm really
liking the way accessibility is improving thanks Kendell clark

Sent from sonar gnu/linux