Re: [orca-list] a few minor issues in gnome I thought were worth mentioning

hi
AN update
Having gotten fedora 22 installed and updated, I've found some more
issues, sigh. Notifications in gnome 3.15.90 appear to be broken, at
least from an accessibility standpoint. I've tested this by running
notify-send -u normal "test" in a terminal,  which returned, but orca
failed to read the notification. I then went into the notifications
area of the calendar, which is workable but a bit clunky, and found a
notification there. I also plugged and unplugged a flash drive, which
is supposed to cause a notification to appear. It did show up, but
orca failed to read it. Gdm has gone from accessible with some
unlabeled buttons to completely inaccessible. Well, it might not
actually be inaccessible, but orca turns on, and then cannot read the
window. I suspect, but cannot prove, that this is a result of gdm
using wayland for it's login screen, though why this should have
anything to do with it i'm not sure. These issues need to be fixed
soon,  because if gnome releases a desktop in this state they cannot
very well be said to have taken accessibility seriously. I don't think
these issues are orca's fault, just posting them here so more
knowledgeable people can look into this. I do like the new gnome 3.16
though, and I'm pretty sure these issues can be fixed. If this issue
is better to be posted on the gnome accessibility list I'll gladly
subscribe, although I'll need someone to add me to it manually, I
can't get past the annoying captcha.
Thanks
Kendell clark
Sent from sonar gnu/linux

kendell clark wrote:
hi all I've been experimenting with the new gnome 3.16, or 3.15.90
as it is in fedora, and thought i'd mention a few issues I've
noticed. SOme of these are in gnome 3.16, the rest in 3.14 but may
be fixed in 3.16. The first is bookmarks in orca. They usually work
exactly as intended, but occasionally, particularly when
bookmarking icons in nautilus, will take you either to an icon
other than the one you bookmarked or will land on the scroll bar
instead of the icon you've bookmarked. This is, and it's only a
guess since my vision isn't good enough to prove, I think because
the icon you've bookmarked has scrolled off the screen and orca is
landing on whatever is in that position now. In gedit, when opening
a large document, orca is occasionally very verbose while the
document loads. That is, orca is reading the contents of the
document in gedit while it's loading before saying "name of
document" gedit frame. This is another guess, it sounds as if the
document is scrolling rapidly while gedit is attempting to load it
and orca is reading what it can. The next is notifications. They
work just fine, I've had no issues with them in orca. I'm going to
try to be clear. When you plug in a removable media, such as a
flash drive, media player, any that opens up a what do you want to
do with this type message, there's an icon at the bottom center of
your screen, that you have to press windows"n to get to. This is, I
assume, where the autorun, autoplay, whatever it's called dialog
has moved to. Instead of speaking the dialog, notification,
whatever it is, orca says simply, panel, and refuses to read the
notification. I can press escape to dismiss the notification, or
enter to take the default action assigned to whatever I've plugged
in.  THis one I"ve only run into on gnome 3.14, so this could be
fixed in gnome 3.16. I"m struggling with installing fedora 22 at
the moment so haven't been able to test. That's all I've noticed so
far. The rest of gnome is accessible, other than some unlabeled
buttons, which are present in both gnome 3.14 and 3.16. IN
particular, the unlabeled buttons in gnome tweak tool for turning
on and off an extension, and activating the preferences for that
extension are still unlabeled. THis could probably be fixed if I
could figure out how to modify the python script. These are not
complaints, I'm really liking the way accessibility is improving
thanks Kendell clark

Sent from sonar gnu/linux