Re: [orca-list] accessible Systems that are not Vinux for the beginner?

hi
I'll second either the fedora or sonar recommendation. I'll also put
in a recommendation for ubuntu mate if it hasn't been mentioned
already. I'm a co developer of sonar, and would be glad to help you
off list if you have any trouble getting it running. We're just about
to release  new images across the board. Mate 1.10  was just released
so the mate image is being updated to that, and the gnome image is
being released to address some rather serious accessibility bugs in
the graphical installer we use, as well as fix some problems booting
sonar on macs. If you want something less blind specific I'd go with
either fedora or ubuntu, with a slight preference to fedora. Both
offer accessibility out of the box, and their installers are
completely accessible so you can install and maintain independently.
If you are planning to dual boot with an existing windows installation
either installerwill work, although the ubuntu installer is slightly
easier to set this up, you simply select  the "install alongside"
option during installation and the installer does the magic. For
fedora you need to have a blank, unallocated section of your hard
drive, and fedora will automatically use that and set up linux to dual
boot without touching windows. Sorry to overwhelm you with options,
but those are my recommendations. I'm no expert on servers, there are
lots of people on here who know a lot more than I do, so follow their
advice, not mine.
Thanks
Kendell clark

Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi Brandon,

First, a couple of key points. One you say Vinux is way out of
date. That's not necessarily so. Vinux 4 was based on Ubuntu 12.04
LTS which still gets regular updates for desktop and server
versions so it isn't as out of date as you might think. Two,
servers aren't updated as regularly as desktops therefore it is not
always recommended to run the latest and greatest if one is running
a server. There are a number of cases where updating a server too
often can cause problems so point being if you want a server you
should not be too concerned about running the latest packages here
if you want a server.

Now, to answer your question more directly my recommendations would
be Ubuntu 14.04, Fedora 22, or Sonar. All of them have a decent
package repository, are fairly up to date, and are fairly easy to
get up and running with accessibility. So one of those is where I'd
personally start if I were you.

Cheers!

On 6/20/15, Brandon Keith Biggs <brandonkeithbiggs gmail com>