Re: [orca-list] Clean up of Live Regions has begun! Try Google Docs

When this works for me it is very responsive, but behavior is quite irratic.
Does the live region setting matter here?
Often mine seems to change on its own when I'm working with a doc. Often things go from some setting to off,
but sometimes the setting does stay as I
last put it.
When I can navigate in the wysiwyg it just works, or it's a single press of orca a that gets the mode setting
right it seems, not the double press to
make focus mode sticky.
At times I can do nothing to get orca to read in the wysiwyg it seems,  other than refresh the page.
Perhaps some issues are caused by the sluggish internet here, but honestly it's much better than it's ever
been, i.e. far from blazing fast, but not
dropping connections  like it used to do.
In the wysiwyg punctuation that is read when in the review tab is not read, e.g. the period, question mark,
and dash are neither announced when I type
them, nor when I review using arrows. I suspect this is a g-docs thing, but if there's a way around it orca
side it's needed as long as it does not
destroy performance. I'll ask about this on the google accessibility list as well.
The other issue I run in to is focus jumping around, sometimes though. At other times it behaves
consistentlyl. I'm talking about in the controls, not
in the edit area.
I know ther's a lack of precission in my explanations above re the focus thing,  but most of the last hour
has been spent trying to get orca to focus on
the wysiwyg, or speak when there. The latter is not as frequent an issue as the former.
Usually as long as I stay in the wysiwyg it is stable, but rarely can I leave and comoe back with out a fight.
If a debug log would be helpful I'll be glad to make one sometime tomorrow.
All my testing just now was done after a reboot and working on a new document.
 Even if I have to refresh the page to get the wysiwyg to speak each time I enter it this will be great, but
right now it's still very hit or miss.
This is very exciting, and I hope it does not cause too many headaches for you. G-docs, sheets, etc are far
too widely used to not have access too with
Linux, i.e. this could mean jobs for people who other wise would have to use that other OS, and we don't want
anhyone to have to do that who does not
want to, do we??...lol
Thanks so much.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 09:10:51PM -0400

Hey all.

I've just committed a change to master which I hope will make your
Google Docs user experience much, much better. I was so happy with how
Orca was working with Google's spreadsheet functionality that I
committed first and am about to regression test. So hopefully nothing is
broken, but you've been warned. <smiles>

The way Google Docs accessibility support works is, in my opinion, a
hack. Part of this is my "delicate sensibilities" being taken aback.
<grins> Part of it has real functional implications for you. Here's the
deal: They are using live regions for purposes other than what it was
intended for. For instance, if you arrow in a text document, you don't
get a caret-moved event; you get an event for a live region providing
the string the screen reader should speak. As for why this matters to you:

1. Orca was living under the assumption that live regions were things
that should be spoken pretty quickly, but not necessarily *this very
second*. But live regions serving as fake accessibility events means
that a second or two delay is way too long. Thus I've removed the code
that delays things on purpose and begun removing sluggish code in favor
of code that should be right and hopefully won't break any of the real
live regions you use. Testing and feedback is strongly encouraged. I'll
continue to try and improve this in the weeks to come.

2. Orca's job according to Google Docs is to speak what Google Docs
tells Orca to speak. In my experience so far, often Google Docs tells
Orca good things. Again, I'm quite pleased with how the spreadsheet
works. But you may find caret navigation in Google's text document not
quite what you want. For instance, if you type "This" and put the caret
at the T, pressing right arrow moves you to the "h" but Google tells
Orca "T". When you right arrow again, you move to the "i" but Google
tells Orca "h". Again these are live region strings Google gives us;;
not proper caret moved events. I will do my best to make Orca as
performant as possible with these apps. But if you don't like what Orca
says when you use them, there may not be anything I can do about it.

Lastly, you must enable the Google Docs live regions hack. You can do
this by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Z. This is a Google thing; not an Orca
thing. You must also enable sticky focus mode (Orca + a twice quickly).
In sticky focus mode, Orca will just get out of the way and should speak
the live regions.

Give it a try and let me know! Thanks!!
--joanie