Re: [orca-list] Clean up of Live Regions has begun! Try Google Docs

Hi Burt, all.

On 06/03/2015 01:10 AM, B. Henry wrote:
Does the live region setting matter here?

For now, let's go with "no." <smiles> Simply because I'm still working
my way through this code. (Live Region support was done years ago and
not by me.)

When I can navigate in the wysiwyg it just works, or it's a single press of orca a that gets the mode
setting right it seems, not the double press to
make focus mode sticky.

Here's the difference between focus mode and sticky focus mode: If you
are not in sticky focus mode and you navigate into something which is
not (in Orca's guestimation) a "focus mode widget," you can be
automatically bounced back into browse mode. In contrast, if you set
focus mode to sticky, Orca assumes you know what you're doing and does
not automatically put you in browse mode. Long way of saying, for web
apps like Google docs, you probably want sticky focus mode though you
may find non-sticky focus mode works until you start Tabbing around.

At times I can do nothing to get orca to read in the wysiwyg it seems,  other than refresh the page.

At the moment, the spreadsheet works much better than the word
processing document. Stay tuned for more fixes.

In the wysiwyg punctuation that is read when in the review tab is not read, e.g. the period, question mark,
and dash are neither announced when I type
them, nor when I review using arrows. I suspect this is a g-docs thing, but if there's a way around it orca
side it's needed as long as it does not
destroy performance. I'll ask about this on the google accessibility list as well.

In the commit I just did to master, I included something which should
handle the punctuation. White space may be missing an event. But I'm
aware of that needing to be done still.

The other issue I run in to is focus jumping around, sometimes though. At other times it behaves
consistentlyl. I'm talking about in the controls, not
in the edit area.

When I set focus mode to sticky, and then use Google Doc commands to
navigate and access controls, things are working as expected -- both in
terms of what Orca presents and in terms of performance. It's the
non-spreadsheet document edit area that needs more work.

I know ther's a lack of precission in my explanations above re the focus thing,  but most of the last hour
has been spent trying to get orca to focus on
the wysiwyg, or speak when there.

Understood. I hope to have a fix for that issue soon. But what I do in
the meantime is enable sticky focus mode and then Tab to get to the
Wysiwyg object.

If a debug log would be helpful I'll be glad to make one sometime tomorrow.

Thanks. Not yet. Once I'm convinced it's all working fine and you tell
me I'm wrong, then it would indeed be helpful. <smiles>

--joanie