Re: [orca-list] the low cost canute braille display

I think this one was mainly made for reading text files put into the unit's memory.

Devin Pratersent from Gmail.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Jason White <jason jasonjgw net> wrote:
Josh K <joshknnd1982 gmail com> wrote:
> its almost here! the low cost multiline braille display called the canute
> will cost about $650.

Interesting - thank you for the reference. There isn't much technical detail
in the announcement. For example, we don't know how quickly the display can
refresh. Some designs do not refresh quickly enough for interactive use, e.g.,
editing a document, while being perfectly usable for reading a book.
Reliability is obviously another unanswered question.

Orca relies on BRLTTY for braille display support, which, obviously, isn't
designed for multi-line displays. If and when such displays become available,
however, I'm sure this limitation can be overcome, and Orca will also gain any
necessary enhancements.

There are several other projects working toward multi-line displays currently,
including devices designed to support both text and graphics.

I hope Linux, BRLTTY and Orca will be part of any braille display revolution
that may happen.