Re: [orca-list] Per-application volume control

Hello,
I've looked at how audio ducking might be configured using pulseaudio.
There is a module-role-ducking not loaded by default since pulseaudio 4.0. This module is supposed to decrease volume of streams with lower priority when streams with higher priority are played. The priority is determined by looking at media.role property pulseaudio clients can set to each sink-input as it's being created. Pulseaudio recognizes media roles such as music, video, event, phone, a11y and test. Native gnome applications such as totem and rhytmbox are already assigning media roles to the sinks they create. By default music and video streams are ducked when phone stream is playing. And this can be overridden so in theory we can set duck music and video whenewer phone, event or a11y is played. I've tried doing that but I have discovered that pulseaudio module-role-ducking is not monitoring sink states but it only checks the sink's existence. Speech-dispatcher's pulseaudio output module is using a single sink to output all the audio which is perhaps because spawning a new sink every so often we want to play a synthesised speech would severelly degrade performance. If there is enough flexibility in the pulseaudio API perhaps speech-dispatcher output module would be correct place for this kind of feature. I think it might be allowed to duck other streams when playing speech audio. I don't want to criticize here but I am afraid advice from some knowledgeable person proficient with linux audio would be verry handy here. For example other areas to explore include ability to play sound icons by orca (most likelly using python gstreamer bindings), and perhaps direct synthesiser support in orca (using the same technology).

Greetings

Peter