Re: [orca-list] Orca crashes on Dropbox installer

There are major problems with dropbox 3.x on Linux.
I do not know if these have been resolved for anyone on any distro yet or not, but my last tries on Vinux4
and F123 latest were failures.
I could update to 3.x on my Arch box, but there were horrible memory leaks that ate up all of my ram after a
few hours, and putting some stuff in to
swap space as well.
You could check every few minutes and watach memory consumption rise from something around 100MB I think it
was to over 2GB over several hours. I'd be
up to a few hundred MB in less than an hour, and I was not doing anything actively with dropbox most of these
times.
I rolled back to dropbox 2.10.52 I think it is on my arch box, and removed the installation that never would
let me link to my account on F123, (based
on Manjaro, based on arch), and installed the same 2.10 version there.
Installation completed normally there.
I'd had some issues installing older versions on Ubuntu precise, but mostly these were when I wanted to use
non standard dropbox folder locations. I
could never get past the file/directory chooser step, so finally had to use the less than elegant method of
symlinking ~/Dropbox to my alternative
location.
The indicater or panel applet depending on distro does not appear for anyone as far as I can tell from what I
read when they upgrade to dropbox 3.x, and
I certainly saw nothing on my Vinux4 installation
I'll double check on an old existing installation  to make sure that the indicator has gone away there with
the update, and see about memory usage...
Done, and I've not updated dropbox there past 2.10. I'm not sure if the 3.x packages are available or not
there, but will not bother to experiment if
they are, at least not untill I start reading that mem leaks have been addressed and that indicators or tray
icons are available again.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Amir wrote:
Sun, Jan 04, 2015 at 04:19:57PM +0800

Hi,
for me, orca doesnt crush but orca doesn't see the window that pops up. how
cn i set up dropbox if cannot alt tab to it? and then it disappears. orca
3.14.2, ubuntu 14.04 unity.