Re: [orca-list] which distro for testing orca

The last time I had Arch installed, I couldn't get Gnome/orca installed and running. By default, I went to
the shell instead of Gnome. Is there a way to fix that?

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of B. Henry
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2015 6:08 PM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] which distro for testing orca

I do believe that Joani, the lead Orca dev uses Fedora, but I do not think there is any reason to prefer
fedora over some other distros, e.g. Arch, and probably Manjaro, Ubuntu-gnome, or some others. Trisquel,
Debian testing, and Gentoo are other  options that I suspect would be fine, and if you are blind you may
prefer F123  or Vinux, but personally I would lean toard Arch to have a rolling release distro where you
should always have access to latest versions of most packages and little if any tamporing with what comes
from upstream to confuse things.
While Orca is certainly a Gnome thing, and more often than not gnome will be the  most overall accessible
desktop I think there is a lot of interest in making  other graphical environments work well with orca and
making orca work well with other graphical environments. Now for instance while mate has some issues, it does
not have some that gnome does.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Peter Vágner wrote:
Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:05:42AM +0100

Hello,
If I was about to answer your original question only I would say orca
is an integral part of GNOME and most of the GNOME developers develop
test and trouble shoot their apps on Fedora.
However I think orca works in many other enviromments and favours of linux.
So my advice would be try to get some additional skills with python 3
possibly also learning some GNOME specific technologies along the way.
Choose the distro you like and you think you know verry well so you
will not be learning new distro rather than improving your coding skills.

Greetings

Peter