Re: [orca-list] ubuntu question

There are several differences besides the default desktop.
One that I think is inportant, and that you will notice as and end user independent of desktop is that Debian
 has the user set a root password during
installation.
Ubuntu uses sudo and unless the user explicitly  sets a root PW he or she will not use one. In most case I
find the Ubuntu approach more sound and
secure.
Debian offers a net install image that is very small where the user picks what to install including which
desktop. These images use  a text based
installer and speakup during installation which I like a lot.
I have not tried any Ubuntu release newer than 14.04, but at least 14.04 has a quite accessible flavor of
unity, and many people prefer this desktop to
gnome shell, others prefer gnome. Gnome uses less memory on any machine I've seen, and on netbooks with
limited RAM this can be a major consideration.
Mate is still lighter weight, and offers a very different GUI experience compared with gnome shell or Unity.
I like some things about each of these three desktops, and each has some problems, both re accessibility and
in basic functionality
Debian stable has a very conservative update philosophy whereas Ubuntu strikes a nice balance between caution
and givingthe user newest software
releases quickly.
Also Debian does not have some programs that are not 100% Free and open source licensed in the default repos,
e.g. you get Iceweasel instead of firefox.
I have had very good experiences with both distros.
If gnome is what you want you can get Ubuntu-gnome which as name implies has gnome instead of unity, and
there is a version of Ubuntu that comes with
mate now as well.
Personally I'd choose Ubuntu for a desktop/laptop and Debian for a server more often than not, but either way
you should have a similar experience.
Oh, one more time that Debian's more strict FOS policy effects many users is with wireless drivers that may
come in Ubuntu's default repos, but not in
Debian's.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Thomas Ward wrote:
Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 10:16:25AM -0400

Hello Kristoffer ,

Well, considering Ubuntu comes with a different desktop, apps, etc
than Debian there are a lot of things that can be different. However,
if you are asking what I think you are asking the primary difference
is a stock copy of Ubuntu comes prepackaged with the Unity desktop.
I'm not sure but I believe the latest Debian uses Gnome by default. As
a result I suspect you are finding Unity easier than Gnome to use as
your default desktop environment.

Cheers!