[orca-list] Sound icons__was: Is Orca support plug-in architecture ?

I am still of a mixed opinion re building ESpeak in to the screenreader. I think it is a good thing for
NVDA/Windows as
there are so many public computers running that OS, thus the need to be able to access them exists for many,
including
myself on rare occasions. Who has a public Linux box in their neihborhood? Some schools certainly do, but in
those
situations it's best to install speakup and Orca on some or all of them if there's any need, and of course
the underlying
accessibility stack that will usually include espeak. As for the progress beeps I;'m very much in favor of
this, and one
would think that this should not be hard to implement in Orca. I also like the other sound icon proposal,
focus/browse
mode switching sounds. A tone can prsent the information faster, i.e. with less interruption than words. This
is the blind
man's equivalent of a picture being worth a thousand words. A tone that uses frequency in both senses, i.e.
lower or
higher and the frequency which it is played, (interval between tones in other words), can last a tenth of a
second and is
worth two two syllible words. How many of us can actually listen/understand synth speech at 2X10X60, or in
other words
1200 words per minute? Even if the tone lasts twice that long it is less intrusive to me and I think a
majority of users
than the words. I can hear the tone with out interupting my voice stream and process the information no
problem. Words are
a bit more distractiing, and I suspect require more processing by the brain than would a good sound icon, but
I have no
real evidence of this, more of a guess/ hypothesis that is probably worth some body testing in some
university. And
although many of us do listen at 600 wpm or higher, the vast majority do not as they are not hacking there
systems to do
so, and default top voice rate is 450 WPM now I think for espeak with Orca or speakup. Even a relatively slow
listener can
process the mode switch or progress update information at a wpm equivalent of 600WPM or perhaps double this
with out
breaking a mental sweat, where as they may be listening at 250 or 350 WPM to process textualy transmitted
data.
Seems a no brainer unless there is some technical hurdle I can;'t think of.
Another thought along these lines is how about a sound icon to tell us when switching from carrot browsing on
to off and
visa versa.
I keep the ask if I really want to turn it on message around because I often have no idea which mode I'm in,
and this way
I can keep track of it.
A tone to let me know which mode I'm switching in to wold save me a keystroke and lisstening time as well.
Are there any other instances where sound icons might be of value, perhaps, but too many could be counter
productive for
some, and I really do not see any other place that Orca should logically use them.
None of these things have anything to do with a potential plug-in archetecture, and in case some were
thinking it, I
really doubt that a univrsal system could be easily created so that NVDA and Orca could interchange these,
even if it were
designed from scratch, an I'd bet a good part  of what I do not have on this being some where between
incredibly
impractical and impossible when it comes to using what exists for NVDA currently.
--
B.H.