Re: [orca-list] How to use gnome-tweak tool

Back to why so many of us choose Linux, the fact that we can choose!
Please gnome, continue to offer these and more options. I hope the pendulum will swing back towards making
things more flexible now that they've gotten
ultra clean just about as far as it can go as a design prenciple.
Personally I did not use desktop icons for my first couple of years as a Linux-user after seeing that I
almost never ulsed the huge grid of program
launchers I accumulated in windowsXP.
Now I have a year or two of using my Desktop folder as a place for a small group of files and folders that I
will want very easy acces to that are not
readily available by default anywhere, i.e. $HOME is there in file managers' places menu, but my Radio folder
where I have .pls m3u and similar files
for playing audio streams is only there if I bookmark it which adds to clutter. It's not so large that I need
to open it with pcmanfm or on the
commandline. Caja or even nautilus can have it talking reasonably quickly. Then I have a hand full of files
that I know I'll need to grab information
from ASAP like some phone number I'll need to give to someone over the phone. Mostly those files are for
short-term use and can be deleted avoiding
clutter.
I have largely gone to keyboard shortcuts for launching the programs I use day in and day out, and I
configure them the same in all the GUI environments
I use from fluxbox to mate, XFCE and Unity so that things are not hard to remember. I used to make launchers
available on panels for the most frequently
used of apps, but even then it's slower, and with Mate only allowing orca to read stuff from one panel, XFCE
not having accessible panels at all, etc
the keyboard shortcut approach has become a no brainer for me. This approach has made me a more efficient
computer user, and made the adaptation to
something like fluxbox painless.
The bottom line however is that this works for me  and would probably be good for a lot of folks, a lot, but
not everyone, and even if it would be best
for someone they should have the option to move to this kind of system when they feel like it or never. Also
having a fallback makes a lot of sense for
many
people. Those of us who use multiple keyboard layouts may break our shortcuts when we change layout to write
in a 2nd or 3rd language.
Some folks come to Linux not because they believe in or care about FOS, and know little about and don't care
to know much more aboutr what's under the
hood. They make the move because they are tired of MS, Apple etc. deciding when it's time to change their
whole computing work flow by trying out a
"modern" interface that few actually asked for and the old way that they like no longer being offered, or
only on an under performing old OS version.
Mate was born out of this. IN Linux we can keep doing things how we have been doing them while we try and
experiment with new or different interfaces,
and even as I do match the interface to the requirements of a computing session. I switch between fluxbox and
Unity2D on my vinux4 installation, and
between Mate and fluxbox when using Arch-Linux.
I could give other sinarios and personal use examples, probably write a nice pamphlett, or even a small book
on the subject. The gnome project has a lot
to offer, but if it is going to remain popular it must keep existing personalization options available and
expand on them
The thing I love about XFCE, love so much it'd be my #1 Desktop if panel access were fixed, is the easy to
use comprehensive and intuitive customization
options that mean that usually one doesn't have to do a lot of researching on line and perhaps manually
editting of configuration files to get things
how they want. It's just there in the main menus.
The only point that makes this at all on topic for this list is to say thank you to Joanie and other folks
such as the mate devs who've given us the
option of using more than one GUI environment, and my greatest hope for accessability for the short to medium
term as that this trend continues and that
the few remaining important issues and bugs can get fixed, and hay, to dream; why not a world where kde and
even sinimun were options for Orca users.
(hear that Mint devs?)
I just want accessible fluxbox menus and XFCE and LXDE panels...grin.
B.H.