Re: [orca-list] Current Orca Version?

Hello,
Several facts:
- Orca development continues in the master branch where new features are added all the time. - When you clone the orca git repository and you won't specify a branch to checkout you will end with master branch in your local tree. - Other branches are usually created to prepare a stable release. While the stable release is tested and bugfixed new stuff can be added to the master branch. - In all branches including master developers are able to tag specific commits to easily refer to individual testing releases and / or milestones. - git describe prints reference to the latest such tag in the current branch along with the latest commit. I think if you would like to maintain various orca-git packages where major version differ you can create multiple packages pulling different tags from the respective branches. - Since there is no easy way to accuratelly retrieve the orca version from git you can just version your package incrementally always checking out from the master branch. This is what is verry common and people are used to it.
Here are two example functions you may wish to add into your PKGBUILD file.
It does not matter too much what you will end up with as long as you like it and it increments with each update.

pkgver() {
  cd ${pkgname}
  echo $(git rev-list --count HEAD)+g$(git rev-parse --short HEAD)
}

pkgver() {
  cd "${pkgname}"
printf "r%s.g%s" "$(git rev-list --count HEAD)" "$(git rev-parse --short HEAD)"
}