Re: [orca-list] about the best distro to a newbie and so on

Let me say that I've not tried F123's latest release yet. That being said this project is very professional,
and based in Brazil!
I have tried an older F123, and you could not have asked for something more friendly to new users. It's not
just for Linux novices of course, and extra
help messages can be turned off.
This is not the only distro that could be good for a new to Linux screenreader using person though.
I don't think sonar would be better for you as it's also based on manjaro, but there's an exception, the
sonar mate spin. Mate may make it on to F123 in
the future. If you want mate, you could put it on F123 pretty easily also.
If you do not want an arch family distro, (in case you do not know manjaro and hence F123 or sonar are
derived from arch-linux), there are other
alternative.
Vinux is designed to be friendly to folks new to Linux, or computers. Vinux4, the latest official release is
made from Ubuntu 12.04, and you can update
to a newer kernel if you like.  This is a very good release that uses Unity as the desktop. Vinux5 is on the
way, but it will be released when it's
ready, probably not that far off, but no firm date is set for it's release. There are Vinux5 nightly images
available which run well and are promising.
I'm not a big fan of the current state of unity myself as it has some accessibility weaknesses. YOu could put
mate on it and get good accessibility, or
use Ubuntu mate that has just come out. I've also not tried Ubuntu mate, but think it's probably very nice
for orca users. You can choose installation
language for Vinux5 nightly builds or Ubuntu it self, so should be fine as far as translations go.
DDDDDDebian needs a bit more work than Ubuntu for most users, but is an option as well.
I use arch more than anything else currently myself, but do not recommend Arch to a novice, many little
things need to be done as one does most
configuration pretty much from scratch, and even basic installation requires steps that a novice will perhaps
be a bit overwhelmed by at first glance.
It's just about following instructions carefully in most cases, but you are more likely to run in to
situations where a bit more research and or trial
and error will be required, and there are just too many decissions to make that someone new to Linux will
have a hard time making in an educated manner
for me to feel comfortable about recommending it.
I hear paldo is easy for novices to setup, and there are podcasts, but I do not know about details, nor about
translations.
So, F123, or Vinux, or probably Ubuntu-mate would be my suggestions for most users in situations like yours.
--
B.H.