Re: [orca-list] What is latest Orca/arch orca-git question

The orca-git PKGBUILD script in the AUR doesn't get its version updated
unless something changes in the script itself. You will need to
periodically install the new package manually, i.e.

yaourt -S orca-git

or

packer -S orca-git

depending on which of the above packages you have installed, as
automatic checking by the AUR helper rarely if ever works for git
packages. Just as an example, I have opus-git and opus-tools-git in the
AUR, and I haven't needed to touch them since I put them there. The
build script for opus-git was made before 1.1, and the build script for
opus-tools-git was made before 0.9 as I recall. Many commits have been
made to both git repositories since then, but the build scripts haven't
changed, so the version showing in the AUR remains the same, and the
packages never get updated automatically by my chosen AUR helper. To get the
latest commits, I just reinstall the packages. The drawback to this, as
you have observed, is the fact that the build process takes a great deal
of time on slower systems, because the source is downloaded and the
package built from scratch every time. There is no caching or any other
magic that can happen to speed up subsequent builds, as the source files
and build scripts are all downloaded to /tmp, and get cleaned on reboot
or shutdown. In order to cache things properly and speed up the build
process the next time, try running just the download command for your
AUR helper, usually -g. Then you can build the package manually using
makepkg from a local directory under your $HOME. Hope this helps.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"