[orca-list] OT: my reasons for wanting daisy players

hi all
I thought I'd write in to see if anyone else shared my reasons for
wanting a convenient daisy player. I won't talk about the cainteoir
thing that's a separate thread. Back when I used windows, I used a
program called fs reader to read my daisy books. I don't use windows
anymore, but my fiance mellisa still does. If she wants to open a
book, she will do: 1. Click the fs reader icon on the desktop. It
opens, she press alt+f to open teh file menu, clicks 1, which is the
last book she's read. Assuming fs doesn't screw up, which it will do,
it opens the book in the exact place she left off, no messing around
with firefox, etc. If I want to open a book, I have to: open the file
manager at my daisy books folder. Navigate to the folder where my book
is, which is not hard. Press enter on the xml file, and wait, the
amount of time depends on how large the book is, for firefox to open.
Hope orca will read the book, sometimes it won't until I restart
firefox. Hope the book is marked up well enough that I can navigate by
heading. If I want to mark my place, I set a bookmark with orca, which
is really brilliant, by the way. I  wish all screen readers had this
feature.  I have to do this every time I open a book, and hope ff
decides to read the book. If the book is extremely large, sometimes it
can take up to a minute before orca will read the page. I've gotten
used to this, but a program like fs reader, but of course not
proprietary, would really be convenient. I could then click on the
icon, navigate to teh book list, pick a book, and open it, and have
the cursor keep up with the navigation points. It's worth noting that
if the book is marked up badly or not at all, a daisy reader won't be
any better than firefox, but it will at the very least be faster with
orca, and will allow me to keep a list of books. This is more out of
convenience than anything. If the application is written well, it will
automatically recognize new books and add them to the list, likewise
with removing books. Does anyone else share my views? I've seen a lot
of blind people who just don't seem that bothered about daisy, and
that's fine, but it's the format lots and lots of sites for the blind
use, and epub isn't here yet, so I need to be able to  handle it, and
preferably with a minimum of fiddling. If firefox were not so slow
this wouldn't be nearly as important an issue, but it hasn't really
improved in this area. This is *not* orca's fault, but rather an issue
of speed in firefox itself.
This is off topic, so maybe people should email me off list so as not
to flood the list? This has little to do with orca other than the fact
that we'll be using orca to read the books
Thanks
Kendell clark