From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Luke
Yelavich
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:50 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Grub help

Hi Alex,
On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 03:32:29PM CEST, Alex Midence wrote:
Anyway, I can get
the thing to come up using a live cd image.  Are there config files I
can edit or something to get this working?

Without having a better idea of what is on screen when the machine boots
from the disk, I am not entirely sure what the problem is, so at this point,
you may need to re-install the grub boot loader itself. At this point, I am
assuming this is a legacy MBR system, i.e not using EFI. You will need to
mount the root (and boot partition if you have one) belonging to the
installed Ubuntu system, and chroot into the install and re-install the
bootloader. So, assuming you have an install of Ubuntu on the first disk
connected to your system:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
cd /mnt
sudo mount -t proc proc proc
sudo mount -o bind /dev dev
sudo chroot . dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
sudo umount dev proc

Then you should be able to reboot, and hopefully things wil boot properly.

Luke