[orca-list] Trisquel 7.0 Pre-release live images available, with accessibility

Hi,

As of May 19, the Trisquel project has released an Alpha candidate of the up-coming version 7, based on code from Ubuntu 14.04. As is the case with Trisquel 6, to get a session with orca talking, one need only boot the live image and wait about a minute; you should hear "screen reader on". The 'alt+super+s' toggle also works. Trisquel is retaining Rubin's tweaked gnome panel we all know and love, but with later packages. I think orca is 3.10.3 and the kernel is Linux-Libre 3.13.

Once I got the live system booted, I started exploring. First thing I noticed: I have to 'ctrl+alt+tab' to the desktop, before I can cycle between desktop and panel. Once on the panel, I can arrow among the applets (network, battery state, time, and volume). The list of running apps and launchers is either missing or inaccessible to orca. When I tried to connect to my secured wifi network, I never heard the prompt, and had to enter the key on System Settings->Network Connections. Once I got connected, I launched abrowser (Trisquel's unbranded Mozilla browser 29.0). When I tried setting app-specific preferences for the browser, I discovered that I cannot use 'orca+ctrl+space' key to set these; nothing seems to happen. Since I'm doing this on a testing machine, I went ahead with the installer. I think the Ubiquity version is the same one Trisquel has been using for years, though, orca had trouble focusing on the pages; I had to toggle the screen reader after hitting each 'next' or 'continue' button. After I did the last step, the webkit welcome slide show read with little trouble.

Once I booted the installed system, lightdm came up but did not speak; this is a known issue across distros. Once I logged in, the desktop came up talking, and at the speed I set for the installation. I played with the included apps, and discovered that the sound recorder and movie player don't seem to work; that is, sound recorder will not record, and totem will not play my audio streams. Vlc and gnome-mplayer will play these, and Audacity will record. Pidgin seems to work, with all notifications spoken and sounds playing. I cannot use Synaptic package manager anymore. When I choose Synaptic from System Settings, and enter my password, Orca goes silent, for all running apps. Toggling announces screen reader state, but doesn't restart access.

Now, you have my first impressions. I'd say it's almost ready, though, Trisquel will not announce an estimate; it's ready when it's ready; lol. Those wishing to test can find iso files and checksums at
http:devel.trisquel.info/makeiso/iso/

To join the conversation, check and file issues, etc, go to www.trisquel.info and use the forum, lists, and issues tracker.

Cheers,

Dave  Hunt