Re: [orca-list] help migrate a windows user to linux?

I'm flying blind as it were more or less, but I've heard that gnome-mud is both accessible and pretty good. I
did install
mush-client on windows but never used it to play a game, and have never done any gaming with anything other
than tintin,
so...
If she can't type http, shoot her.
There was a daisy reader called something with daisy that I never tried as I've seldom used daisy books that
was posted on
the Vinux list maybe 3 years ago. I probably have a copy of the tarball somewhere, but don't think I ever
built it, and
have no idea as to what it does well or poorly.
Back to the web-address thing, you could make a one letter alias that would expand to firefox, but if you
included http I
think it'd put a space between firefox http:// and what you typed next, or maybe I've not had enough coffee.
Or, perhaps
firefox handles addresses this way as if they were typed in to the addressbar, as does chrome for that matter
and
automatically includes the http://.
I do not know what type of addresses she wants to open this way as if they come from email or formatted
documents she can
just enter on em and open em up in the default gui browser. If they are in plain txt documents just copy and
past em in to
the terminal and they'll have the http:// anyway.
If they are the same few addresses she uses frequently and finds getting them from book marks files too
troublesome, (NO
comment here needed), besides making a very small favorites folder inside the main bookmarks folder, i.e. I
have one where
I have groups I admin, and a handful of sites that don't neatly fit in to my main categories but are
important to me...
then again, why not make bash aliases e.g. alias win-junkies="firefox http://www.windowsjunkies-anonymous.net'
Lastly, if there are any differencies perhaps try similar with chrome. I think I just read that some online
apps, or all
of them in current gnome releases use or at least default to using chrome backend due to something that is
easier or works
better. Sorry I was just reading release notes or similar and can't be more specific.
And yes, as officil support will last till 2020, win7 is still a very viable option, but if she's got to make
a switch it
would be the ideal time to go on and move to Linux if you can make it happen in a way that is not more
painful for you
than the alternatives.
You should point out to her that being mentally inflexible is likely to make her much more likely to get an
earlier onset
to demencia...sure, not likely to put the fear of God in to most folks under 40, but every bit of truth that
you have at
your disposal may come in handy at some point.
We should take this off list probably unless others feel it should stay in plain view as it's really not at
all about
orca, or even accessibility for the most part.
You know where to find me at any rate, will try and be orn IRC tomorrow if not tonight.

--
B.H.