Re: [orca-list] remote desktop accessibility under gnome with orca

Don Raikes <DON RAIKES oracle com> wrote:

I have a class I am taking over the summer where I will be interacting with
a variety of remotely hosted systems. The typical scenario for the class is
that the students access the remote systems via VNC, but VNC on windows at
least is totally inaccessible, so I was wondering if there is any kind of
accessible solution from linux/gnome.

If you can do what is necessary on the remote system from the shell, you can
just run ssh.

If it requires interaction with a remote graphical desktop environment, I'm
not aware of any solutions at this point. The DBus messages that AT-SPI and
Orca rely on can't yet be transported from one machine to another, although,
as I recall, the protocol is intended to enable this in the future.

If you use Emacspeak, it can be run remotely as well over ssh.

I would suggest examining carefully the tasks you need to perform on the
remote machines and whether they can be done via ssh.