[orca-list] I know this isn't the right place to bring this up, but how do you turn on speakup under gentu?

As the subject reflects, I'm trying to figure out how to enable speakup under gentu, as I'm trying to see if I can under a chromebook to be able to gain shell access in developer mode so I ccan get an ubuntu installation running along side chrome OS.
Also, I know this isn't the right place to talk about this, but I figure someone can point me in the right direction.