Re: [orca-list] Enabling Espeakup on Ubuntu 14.04

Hi,

Here is what I use to get speech in the console in Ubuntu.  I am assuming
you successfully installed speakup and espeakup with the method you
described in your post.  And yes, this will work in 14.04:

1.  Open a terminal in Gnome.
2.  sudo modprobe speakup_soft start=1
3.  sudo espeakup
4.  Control alt f1 to get back to the console and log in as myself.
5.  Espeak will stutter a bit and then settle down to speak via speakup.

It will not work if you are not logged in on the console.  It doesn't matter
if you log in before or after running the commands but, you do have to log
in to at least one console session.  Also, switching back and forth from the
console produces a slight crackle and stutter from e-speak before it settles
down and stabilizes.  I consider it a small price to pay if it means I get a
talking console and a talking GUI.  To further sing its praises to the sky,
this method works for me each and every single time.

HTH,
Alex M