Re: [orca-list] wine and orca

Virtualbox does not have an accessible gui, but does have a complete commandline interface.
VMware-player will work on any machine with the resources to support it and has an accessible gui.
You'll need a couple of GB to do what you want, but if you really restrict your memory consumption, and don't
multitask
beyond the bare minimum you may get by on a bit less. I once ran windows XP on a gnome2-using distro on a
singlecore
pentium4 running at 2.8GHz that had 1.5gigs of RAM. It ran pretty well to tell the truth, with me sharing the
RAM about
equally. I did nothing in the Linux host when running windows though, nothing other than run Orca,
vmware-player, and
sometimes an audio stream that is. I'd run one windows application at a time, besides a windows screenreader.
On a multi-core machine with plenty of ram you shoud have a pretty good experience, but I'm wondering if the
delay that
one experiences is also going to be seen/heard in audio playback.
Audacity is a good program, but you should probably look at doing some things to avoid possible audio delay
with pulse
audio.
Some folks have good results running realtime kernels for example, and JAC can be used to get good results
with audio
editing.
As Jason mentions, if your processor supports hardware virtualization you will likely also get better results
as far as
delays go
Depending on what you want to do there are a number of tools in addition to audacity  available in Linux that
might work
for you.
--
B.H.