Re: [orca-list] favorite linux distros.

hi
I've got a solution for you, I hope. There's ubuntu mate. IT's not
unity, but mate is the old classic gnome 2 but updated to work with
the newer orca. There is both a 14.04 and 14.10 release available, and
both come with the latest orca out of the box. 14.04 adds the trusy
accessibility PPA, which means you'll get the latest orca whenever
there's a new release. It also allows you to turn on orca simply by
pressing alt+windows+s, just like in gnome and unity, this is new to
mate. There are a couple of issues to be aware of however. Qt
applications don't speak out of the box until you export the
QT_ACCESSIBILITY variable to 1. Looking at the code in
/etc/profile.d/qt-accessibility.sh this is supposed to happen but for
some reason it doesn't. There's some kind of issue that keeps firefox
from speaking with orca until you create a symbolic link to
gtk-2.0.so. I'm not sure exactly what the path is but I know I saw
something on here about that, so someone else will probably chime in
with exactly what you're supposed to link to what. Other than that'
it's perfectly accessible. The login screen talks as well. You'll need
to press f4 to activate orca on the login screen instead of
alt+windows+s. If you want it, you can get it from ubuntu-mate.org.
Besides ubuntu mate, there's trisquel, which is also based on ubuntu
14.04. It's a free software exclusive distro, which means if your
hardware, like graphics card, wifi chipset, etc requires binary blobs,
ATI and NVIDIA cards are notorius for this it won't load those blobs,
so your hardware might not work. There's talking arch, and there's
sonar. I'm the maintainer of the mate edition, and an alpha 2 is
planned for early january. Sonar is based on manjaro which is based on
arch, so it's not ubuntu. Besides this, there's ubuntu gnome. As long
as they haven't ripped out orca, I doubt it, you should just be able
to download, boot, activate orca by the usual alt+windows+s shortcut,
and be on your way. There's debian, but in order to use that I think
you need to download the net install  image, press s when booting in
order to activate speakup and install that way. There's also fedora,
which orca developer joanie uses. I don't have a ton of experience
with that, and it's installer can have  issues sometimes.
That's all the ones I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm
sure others will chime in with more options
Thanks
Kendell clark

norman wrote:
Hello. I'm wondering, What linux distros do people like and why?
I'd like to use the unity version of ubuntu 14.04 or 14.10 but
apparently nobody knows when or even if we can expect a fix for the
dash bug. I've used vinux 4.0 and like it for the most part but it
is a little dated for me. I'd like to use vinux 5 but don't want a
pre release version of any distro on that box. This brings me to
the question of what else is out there? preferably something based
on the ubuntu / debian archetecture. I'd like something that can
run the latest versions of orca and firefox because i've found that
the browsing experience is a little lacking on vinux.

Thoughts?