Re: [orca-list] Cannot turn Orca on at login screen

You have to use lightdm and use control s as the turn on key.  If you use GDM, it won’t talk for some reason in Ubuntu 14.04.  I have the same problem.  When I switched from gdm to lightdm, it worked fine when I did a control s.  this is weird because if you have Unity installed and not just Gnome shell, you *can* use the super alt s key in lightdm and get speech at the login but you can’t use contrl s which was the older key stroke in prior versions of Ubuntu.  Go figure.

Alex M

From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Sam Joehl
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2014 12:36 PM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: [orca-list] Cannot turn Orca on at login screen

I believe that I have already posted about this issue, but I have just clean-installed Ubuntu 14.0.4.1 LTS from the ISO and can still not activate Orca at the login screen using the super+win+S keyboard shortcut. This prevents me from using the Gnome shell or other non-Unity solutions as several areas of Unity appear to be inaccessible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sam