Re: [orca-list] a question about pidgin's buddy type notification

My buddies are orderer alphabetically; I use several protocols,
especially GMail (XMPP) and Skype (with pidgin-skype). I've also used
pidgin for a while (four years or more) and although I'm not
completely sure, I don't remember this behavior happening before.

Well, I'll try to explain it better. Suppose you got four buddies on-line:
1. Christopher
2. Henry
3. Kendell
4. Luis

If Henry disconnects, Orca will assume they are all connected, so the
list will be read as follows:
1. Christopher
2. Henry
3. Kendell

But of course buddy #2 is not Henry anymore, so if you open Henry's
chat, you actually will open Kendell's chat; and if you do with
Kendell's chat (buddy #3), you will open Luis's chat.

I guess this behavior is caused by Orca, which does not refresh the
buddy list when someone disconnects.

I'm using pidgin 2.10.9 and Orca 3.10.3

First, how do you mean in wrong place?
Have you changed how your buddies are sorted?
Mine are in alphabetical order as I prefer this, although there are other
sort options in the menus.
I have never seen buddies shown once they are off list with the exception of
a couple times when for some reason I turned
the "show offline buddies" option on. I think there's an option also to show
a particular budy when off line even if this
is not the global prefference.
Other than possibly having changed one of these options accidentally I can
not think of anything that could cause such
behavior.
Message windows stay open unless you close them, or actually usually they
are tabs in a window, but perhaps this can be
turned off, I don't remember the option however.
Perhaps you have told me, or the list, but I do not remember what
distro/release you are using. That should not mnatter
though, never remember seeing folks stay in buddy list for more than a
couple of seconds when they go offline even four
years ago when I first started using pidgin.
I suppose it is possible that there is a bug with some kind of sorting
option, but never heard of it. Check your settings,
and let me know if you are still seing unexplainable listings and I'll try
and duplicate your results.
Which protocols do you use?
I'll start pidgiin now and see how it acts. I've used bitlbee with irssi
much more than pidgin for some time now, and have
gone a week or two with out starting even irssi, but I do use pidgin once in
a while, and likely always will unless
something revolutionaryly better comes along, which hoonestly I can;'t even
imagin at the moment.
Regards,
--
B.H.