Re: [orca-list] No Terminal window in Ubuntu

First, the original question. I know on ubuntu precise gnome terminal is there and called such. I do not know
for sure if
it is stil named such i'n trusty, but would be a bit surprised if it's not. I do not haave the time to check
package
lists, and deleted my vanila trusty .iso as I know I won't be running that personally. Mate terminal is
almost the same,
and xfce terminal is a bit lighter with out a couple of features. There are many other opti8ons, some
accessible, but
might as well use what's there by default.
Now, for my thoughts regarding current desktop enviroments for Orca users. It's somewhat OT, but helping ppl
find the way
to use Orca that suits their needs and desires best is probably worth doing every once in a while when what's
available
changes signifficantly. In the future I hope that we have a place where this can be handled in a serious way,
a website
for reviews, specs, and accessibility tips as some have mentioned here. There's way too much to say to deal
with it all on
list here, and I'll keep  my word about not going on about this subject in the future unless there's
something really new
to say. What is best for one person, their hardware, software choices, and computing style will not be for
someone else. I
did not memntion lxde or ratpoison here. Neither would be a top choice for most users, but if you would
consider fluxbox,
then you may want to t-ake a lookk at ratpoison. If you would consider xfce, then lxde may be a viable
choice. It's the
lightest of any more or less accessible Desktop enviorment, assuming you do not include fluxbox in this
category. In some
ways fluxbox is much more than a sinmple window manager, but as it doesn't include it's own apps and daemons
it is  not
quite a desktop enviroment.
I totally get that there are many different tastes in computing styles, and how one likes to interact with
their
computer(s).
In'm perhaps in a minority, but a pretty large one who actually likes more than one Desktop environment.
I agree that the current unity has much to be desired when it comes to accessiblity, so I cn't even really
give it a fair
test as to whether my former opinion of preferring the unity interface to that of gnome3 should stand in an
equal
accessiblility playiing field that does not currently exist or not. I must say that My current fixation on
efficient
resource handling is making me respect gnome 3 more, as it does provide a type and find, search driven
interface if you
will using quite a bit less memory, and perhaps cpu compared with unity. Unfortunatelly neither gnome3 or
Unity gives one
an acceptable level of control over things, gnome appeariing to be even worse. I do not have enough
experience with 14.04,
only a few hours of testing to say if things have gotten worse or better compared with 12.04 in this area.
Ubuntu tweak
was completely inaccessible on 12.04 for me, and had limited interactions with 2d unity anyway from what I
read. I could
however disable much of the indexing and such that comsumed extra cpu cycles and memory, and found myself
able to work
pretty well with unity when accessiblity was good. I suspect with more practice I could get almost as
efficient with
gnome3, and honestly have not done a serious logical analysis of what should be possible.
On the other hand, for those who have not become dependent on or at least very used to typing ap names in to
search boxes
as the primary interaction method with their GUI all this is seriously wasteful of system resources, and at
best will give
a similarly efficient experience assuming their computer is fast enough to manage the heavier interfaces well
as compared
with a more traditional menu driven interface. I get around the differences in interfaces by defining a
rather high number
of keyboard shortcuts in what ever environment I'm using, and this has made my current go to GUI, fluxbox, a
great fit.
It's blazing fast to launch and shutdown even oon slower systems, and 1gig of RAM is plenty for most anyone
who's not
doing serious multimedia editing and such memory intensive tasks
The compromise between this kind of system, and the gnome shell is Mate. Mate gives one a perfectly
accessible
applications and places menu that launches very quickluy with one, not a couple or three keystrolkes, and
it's organized.
If my memory does not fail me gnome gives you your programs, but not categorized. I think there are applets
for this, but
my point is that someone coming from windows xp, or even windows 7 is probably going to want there menu list
very quickly
accessible, and for many users there's no justification in using the extra resources to power enhanced search
capability.
My biggest gripe with gnome andunity is the need to constantly expand things, or go to other levels. Sure, it
looks nice
to have the clean screen, but if one is going to use the samne thing over and over, more often than anything
else, then
make it stickily configurable. I know this is way off topic, but I'm just saying that I think for a very
large percentage
of users Mate makes more since than gnome or Unity. Especially with gnome 3.12 I find the asthetic being in
the lead as
gnome dev well put it a couple years in an interview I read has taken away functionality in some cases past
any level of
reason, and in others has made things less efficient for many users.
For similar reasons to some of what I describe above it seems that several major distros are considering
moviing or
actually moving to XFCE as their default desktop, and I'd probably prefer XFCE hands down if panels were
accessible. Even
in its current state until very recently I used XFCUE more than mate, but logic says why even bother with it
with out
panels, might as well use fluxbox, so I do...lol.
Most folks will want a better apps menu than what one gets by opening /usr/share/applications in pcmanfm, or
another
filemanager though, and sys-trayish stuff is quite useful and not yet accessible in fluxbox with any
configuration I've
come up with, thinking about trying some more things until the "slit" is seen by orca however.
In conclusion I think the bottom line is for the average user profiles either Gnome or mate are the best
options around
for now. Will unity get back on track access wise in the next couple of years? Let's hope so. Will XFCE's
posible
increased popularity get devs more active and finally get the panel issue resolved, again, let's hope so.
Will gnome ever
start listening to what so many users want and start making things more customizable, well, I'm less than
easily convinced
after the last couple of years, but as long as accessablity stays good it'll remain a first choice for many.
I'm most
confident about Mate continuing to address accessability issues as high priority and sticking to a road map
that fits in
with what many users like and want, and thus will also be a very good choice for Orca users. And lastly, I'm
hopeful
regarding fluxbox improving accessability, but have no way of knowing if it'll improve enough in the short to
medium term
to make it a seriously viable option for the less geeky. I do hope I can make a preconfigured/customized
version of
fluxbox with a lot of help from mate and gnome packages so that the Linux novice with a netbook or older
hardware can rock
and roll. No promises, but I'll put some energy in to making this a reality,,, so if the time is there it
wiill happen.