Re: [orca-list] Your opinion regarding caret control in Gecko

I remember orca just playing them both through both speakers, or how ever the sound card handles it. As tones
change to
indicate aprox progress one just has to gguess which is which if a 2nd progress bar is completeing faster
than the first
one.
I suppose one could code a different wave form for 2nd or 3rd prog-bars, but I think this feature is mostly
practical for
checking progress of a focused app,, or one app in the background. I found it useful for download progress,
and there
indeed there could be several downloads going on at a time, but one did not always know which was which. This
is probably
best customized by the user, e.g. using tones for firefox, and having them be heard globally, while voip apps
would have
them turned off in all ways, and some other program would be set to only give progress announcements or beeps
when in
focus.
Position identified alerts, left and right speaker, would be good, but many people only have a mono  audio
output, at
least some of the timie, and or if more than a foot or two away from a laptop you'd often not be able to say
which speaker
a tone comes from, so the more I think using say a clear tone for 1st bar, a square wave for 2nd, and a kind
of tick or
tock, (hollow wood block sound or similar), for the 3rd progress alert would be about as far as I think it
practical to
go with this.
That of course leaves one with the problem of someone with 5 things updating for example. I suppose tone
scheme could just
repeat after the 3rd tone,. I mean, you could add a 4th sound type, but somewhere you have to stop.
Inteligent user-configuration seems the only solution, and if not done well some infromation would not be
presented well.
I wonder if trying to distinguish between progressbars by the tones in any way is worth the effort, but
asuming the effort
is not great, having tone 1, tone 2, and then reusing the tone type for 3, 4, and higher might be the best
solution. My
guess is that code wold be heavier to give proportional location to each update, but with good headphones one
c could
probably handle 3-5 tones reasonably well.
--
B.H.