Re: [orca-list] Your opinion regarding caret control in Gecko

Hello,

On 08.08.2014 at 12:52 Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
1. Are you saying: Any time a widget gets focus, Orca would automatically turn all control over to Gecko? (Yes or no.)

I am saying something along these lines however I can't preciselly define it. When widget gets focus orca should check its role, states and ancestors in order to find out if the control is interactive and if yes then it should give control to gecko. If you need more details I can look it up in the NVDA's source code or at least point a place where exactly to look into inside it. I think IA2 roles are close enough to ATK roles so we might be able to borrow some bits and pieces from it. 2. Are you saying there would be a single keyboard command a user would press to return all control back over to Orca? (Yes or no.) Yes exactly. That keystroke would toggle the two modes no mather wich of these is active. Imagine it like a global switch with two states gecko vs orca and you can toggle between the two whenever you wish.
3. What does NVDA call each of these modes?
While NVDA does nothing and just reports accessibility related events it calls it focus mode. When NVDA handles the input and preprocesses content on its own in order to flatten it for the easier presentation it calls it browse mode.

4. What keystroke(s) does NVDA use for this behavior?
NVDA uses NVDA+space to toggle among these modes. By default NVDA does not allow browse mode within aria apps (aria-role=application) however it allows forcing browse mode in this scenario by providing a keystroke ctrl+NVDA+space. Additionally ctrl+NVDA+space can be used in other contexts for example while browsing embedded objects such as java applets or flash movies using browse mode you can jump to the parent document by pressing NVDA+ctrl+spacebar. NVDA key is either insert, capslock or numpad insert depending on the user's choice.
5. What message(s) does NVDA speak for this behavior?
NVDA by default plays a beep when toggles this no mather whether it's being toggled as a result of a keystroke or whether it's toggled automatically. There are two different sounds one coresponding with focus mode the other coresponding with browse mode. If beeps are turned off from within browse mode settings window it says either browse mode or focus mode depending which mode has just got activated either no mather whether it was activated manually by pressing the designated shortcut key or activated automatically. Again, let's first come up with a simple, clear specification. Once we have that, lengthy discussions can resume while I look at implementing it.

Yes I understand. Feel free to ask if you need more details. I can also try clarifying stuff in other words if I haven't explained it verry well.

Thanks and greetings

Peter