Re: [orca-list] can't see system tray icons in MATE

I'm assuming you've not added anything to the bottom panel yet.
Once you do this you will likely see the notifications, at least this
was the case with older mate and orca running on vinux4.0.
You may not be able to add panels however and still read the bottom one.
I found that only the last panel added and configured was seen by orca.
I removed the workspace switcher is this is much less efficient than the
use of keyboard shortcuts to switch work spaces.
Try ading a weather applet for instance.
If you still are not seeing anything after a reboot, and of course
assuming you have the gtk module exported you need for mate, xfce and
friends, then here's exactly what I did.
I added a side panel, put several applets on it, and then when I
realized I had no bottom panel I deleted the whole configured side panel.
Then things were visible. I did add the battery state applet for
instance on the side panel, and configured it. I never so that before,
but it was sure there after removing the side panel. I  had also added
notifications applet and a couple more to that short lived side panel.
I only added the weather applets and one more, maybe the clock to the
bottom panel after removing the side one, but everything was showing up
that should have been on the bottm at this point, i.e. notifications,
battery state, weather, but the clock is unreadable.
Also qt programs cause orca to hang as was the case with gnome2 and
programs such as skype, teamtalk, etc.
Also you may need to use control f1 to get out put from some applets,
e.g. weather requires this to get the most basic data, and go in to
menus and click on details to read the whole weather report.
This is poorly worded, but I hope it tells you what you need to know.
If you are still having trouble, write me off list and I'll see if I can
help some more.
I've not had mate working with speech yet on arch due to a special issue
I have, but am confident that I can get it working now, and may do so as
I do miss tray icons and applets that unfortunately ton't work in xfce.
--
B.H.