[orca-list] can't see system tray icons in MATE

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I'm using archlinux with MATE 1.8 and orca
master, and I cannot see icons or notifications in the system tray.
pressing control-alt-tab as in gnome does not work; all that's on the
panel is a workspace switcher and a window list, also I don't see
anything in flat review. I've been googling around and can't seem to
find anything on this problem, I'm probably missing something obvious,
but as it stands now I cannot see network manager, battery status,
volume etc and must use the terminal for everything. Any thoughts?