Re: [orca-list] can't see system tray icons in MATE

There is a bug in the Marco window manager that is preventing the tab
popups such as the panel and application switchers from speaking.
Consequently, you are focusing only on the bottom panel. There is
another bug in mate-panel itself that seems to be preventing the
alt+control+tab combination from working properly. It focuses the bottom
panel, but then it disappears, focusing back on either the desktop or
the previously focused window, depending on whether or not you have
windows open. A couple of us have been trying to find and fix the popup
bug, but we can't find where the problem is, because everything looks
like it should work, and those of us who are looking independently of
the devs don't know enough about the internals for anything bad to jump
out at us. I did file issues for both problems in their Github, so
hopefully someone will be able to find and fix them.

For now, a work-around of a sort may help. Try pressing
alt+control+shift+tab. This has been known to focus the top panel
instead of the bottom panel, and should show you the notification area.
Hope this helps.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--