[orca-list] Insert+h or Space only respond when other applications are open

I just installed Fedora 19 on my Intel iMac.  I started Orca and checked screen reader under Universal Access
in settings.  When I have an application open such as Firefox or Thunderbird, I am able to hit INsert+Space
to start Orca Preferences or Insert+h to start help.  When Orca is running, but no other applications are
open, Insert+Space or Insert+h don't respond. Is this normal?
Sent from my iPhone