Re: [orca-list] Video interceptor

I assume DCM refers to Driver Chain Management (DCM), which was the MS standard allowing multiple access technologies to coexist on the same system. It's discussed on the link I provided, as well as on this link http://www.gwmicro.com/Support/Knowledge_Base/?kbnumber=GWKB1016 Unfortunately, the link to more information off of this page goes no where, but maybe Google will dig it up. DCM isn't an alternative to video interceptors, it's a device driver standard allowing for multiple video interceptors to exist on the same system.

It's been a while, but I know I've used JAWS with MS Powerpoint in slide show mode. I used to use this combination to give presentations years ago. I seem to recall though that JAWS waas a bit flaky afterwards, requiring a reboot, but I think this was more due to switching back and forth between my display and an external projector than the fact that I was using MS Powerpoint's slide show mode. Either way, I can't see how DCM would allow Window Eyes to work with MS Powerpoint in slide show mode while keeping JAWS from working. IMHO, although this solution of video interceptors was needed in it's day, and required a lot of hard work to implement, it did make things very complicated, and I could see that if someone didn't have the right versions of JAWS, Windows, video device drivers and so on that you could have problems with various applications. I also seem to recall that my results were also dependent on whether I was running JAWS as an application or a service. Hopefully, the days of needing video interception is behind us.

On 11/18/2013 03:58 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
Interesting.  I thought they used some other technology called DCM which was
supposed to be different from Video Intercept.  It's why Window Eyes can
read Powerpoint slide shows but Jaws cannot.  Oh, well.  This is getting off
topic.  You have my thanks as well for the link.

Alex M

-----Original Message-----
From: orca-list [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of
Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 12:11 PM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Video interceptor

Window Eyes definitely uses, or at least use to use video interception.
Here's a knowledge base article from GW Micro explaining it's use of video
interception
http://www.gwmicro.com/Support/Knowledge_Base/?kbnumber=GWKB1073

Note that Freedom Scientific, GW Micro, Microsoft and others worked on a
driver chaining protocol used when multiple access technologies all wanted
to tap into the video chain and insert their device drivers into the device
driver stack. This allowed users to have both JAWS, Window Eyes and other
magnification programs using video interception to coexist on the same
machine. As above, this is also easy enough to find with Google if you want
more information.