Re: [orca-list] Another call for testing master

Hello,
This is something I have sent to the lists multiple times but I think it's still accurate enough to be usefull. Arch wiki is full of well written articles. I don't think we might be able to write it better.
If you really want to then you need the following:
- Talking arch install disc and related article https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_for_the_blind
- arch beginers guide https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide
- and also arch install guide https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_Guide

I am sure all you need is written on these pages I have followed this to the letter and am now happily running arch with gnome 3.10 and xfce 4.10 on another computer. I think first you should read it all following links on the stuff you don't understand. Then you can think how you will be installing your arch system and finally you can follow the guides. It's awesome because you will be able to learn a lot of stuff that will become usefull to you. The beginners guide has a chapter on graphical interface where you can see how to install gnome, xfce etc. Below are some more concrete points on how I was installing xfce.

- install xfce4 and xfce4-goodies groups of packages.
- If you have no ~/.xinitrc file then copy the default one into your home directory
cp /etc/skel/.xinitrc ~/.xinitrc
- edit ~/.xinitrc with your favorite text editor. Make sure the line
exec startxfce4
is there and is not commented out.
Before this line add another line saying
export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
- Install orca what will also install speech-dispatcher and other dependencies. - Now either change speech-dispatcher configuration so it will use alsa as its output module or install pulseaudio.
You can edit /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
- At this point you should be able to start xfce by executing startx . As it starts up you will be greeted by the pannel configuration which is not accessible. You can escape or alt+f4 out of it and then press alt+f2 to run xfce4 app finder and type in orca to launch it. - If orca starts first thing you should do is that you will press alt+f1 to inwoke the popup menu, choose applications -> settings -> accessibility and enable screen reader checkbox. Once this is enabled I think you don't have to export the GTK_MODULES variable. So you will then be able to start xfce from the login manager.

I haven't installed gdm in order to get accessible login screen because it installs a lot of gnome dependencies. Instead I have installed SLiM and set it to autologin. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM#Autologin I don't know if there are other more accessible login managers.

In order to make the experience better I have installed the following gnome and lxde packages:
polkit-gnome, evince, file-roller, pcman-fm.
There is lighter alternative interface to polkit called lxpolkit however I haven't tested this yet. You might like to try it instead of polkit-gnome.

QT4 apps can also be made accessible while running xfce4 you have to instal qt-at-spi from AUR and then either source /etc/profile.d/qt-accessibility.sh or relogin or restart the machine in order to get it fully working.

xfce4-terminal is accessible, it has even keyboard shortcut for select all.
Mousepad what is xfce text editor is working verry well too.
For playing multimedia you can install vlc, totem or DeaDBeeF for music. DeaDBeeF is just partially accessible but it's awesome.

Firefox, Thunderbird and libre-office are all working verry well.
In the alt+F1 menu -> settings -> prefered applications I have changed default filemanager from thunar to pcman-fm. Xfce folks have put some efforts into making thunar more accessible however it is not yet working verry well. Also there is fully accessible lighter nautilus fork from cinnamon named nemo which has been recommended by Storm Dragon. You might like to check it as an alternative to pcman-fm.

If something does not work then try to diagnose what is failing. If all is working well don't read further.
After starting xfce4 hit alt+f2 and run xfce4-terminal .
In the terminal make sure sound is working by using speaker-test for example. You can exit speaker-test by pressing ctrl+c. Then next step is to make sure speech is working. First try to use espeak as follows if it is really installed properly and working
espeak -v en "hello world"
If that is working well then move on and test whether the speech-dispatcher is working by running
spd-say "hello world"
Finally if all this is still working without a problem start orca from the terminal and examine its output. Perhaps there is some package missing, wrong entry in the config etc.

Hopefully this is usefull

Greetings

Peter