Re: [orca-list] getting started and introduction

Same here, nothing special for editing source files(I've found Emacspeak's strange voices a bit annoying) Do turn on the "speak indentation" checkbox in Orca prefs if you're doing any kind of Python programming. For C++/Java/etc, just be sure the appropriate characters(braces, semicolons, etc) are being spoken by Orca(set your punctuation settings accordingly).
As far as orca from master, try something along these lines :
sudo -i
apt-get install build-essential gnome-common yelp-tools git
apt-get build-dep gnome-orca
#the below repo URI may be off since I haven't downloaded the repo in a while, so just from memory.
git clone git://git.gnome.org/orca
cd orca
./autogen.sh
#replace <nnn> below with the number of CPUs in your machine plus 1(I.E. 5 for quad core systems, 9 #for hyperthreaded quad core I7s)
make -j <nnn>
make -j <nnn> install
exit

Bill