[orca-list] getting started and introduction

Hello all:
First, I had a few questions. I was looking at using Orca more at least for development since I have a couple of projects I want to market and make available for Linux. I had a friend help me get Debian installed and set up, but I was curious if this was the best environment to use. I didn't see any actual instructions for installing orca from source, which I am interested in doing. Also, I'm noticing a bit of lag here--I'm not sure what the deal is with that. Has anyone had any experience with this? Are there tweaks and etc worth making to speed things up a bit? Whether it be to gnome/debian/orca itself. I'm kind of considering switching to arch, but I am not really sure where I want to go yet.

I'm also curious of the environment most people use for development. Do you all work from virtual machines and use snapshots to test other software? I'm thinking I'll use emacspeak for editing, but I don't know how well that'll work on the compile-run-test cycle.
Thanks,

--
Take care,
Ty